O&G Exhibition in Africa O&G and P&E Exhibitions in Africa P&E Exhibition in Africa
Back To Home

Assela Wind Farm project in Ethiopia enters construction phase

Assela Wind Farm project situated about 150Km south of Addis Ababa, near Iteya town in Oromia Regional State, Ethiopia, has now arrived to the construction phase following the approval for the loan agreement signed by the East African country Ministry of Finance and Danske Bank for financing for the 100 megawatts project.

The loan of US$ 136.5M, to be repaid in 20 years, including a five-year grace period, was approved one hundred percent by the House of Peoples’ Representatives according to the Ethiopian parliament.

The Danske Bank loan is supported by the Danish government through the ministry of foreign affairs’ development assistance Danida Sustainable Infrastructure Finance (DSIF).

“I am pleased to see that the agreement for the development of the Assela I wind farm, which will diversify Ethiopia’s energy mix, has been adopted by Parliament. I am grateful to the Danish government for generously providing grants and funding on favourable terms. In terms of capacity development, Ethiopia will also learn and benefit enormously from the Danish wind energy companies in terms of production and operation of the facilities,” says Seleshi Bekele, Ethiopia’s Minister of Water, Irrigation and Energy.

The project involves the installation of 29 turbines with each turbine having the capacity to produce 3.45MW, the construction of access roads, and a substation as well as the installation of transformers and generators.  Upon completion, the facility is expected to generate about 330,000KWh annually and supply sustainable power to over three million people.

An agreement signed between the Ethiopian Electric Power (EEP), Ethiopian electrical power industry and state-owned electric producer, and Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy stipulates that the Danish subsidiary of Siemens Gamesa will have control of 60% of the development of the project, while Simens Gamesa-Spain (the parent company) will have the remaining 40% control.

The two subsidiaries of the company are also expected to operate and maintain the Assela wind farm over a period of 5 years.

Source : www.skdf.com
Posted On: 10/6/2020 12:00:00 AM

Exhibitions in Africa


Place Your Add here
Oilserv Limited
Energy environment Engineering


Ask your questions by e-mail: here

OGPE Africa

© 2014-2023 | OGPEAfrica © All rights Reserved
Sitemap | Imp_Links | Media Partners

OGPE AFRICA is an industry leading and most reliable directory, news and trade fair information website for power, energy, oil, gas, coal, nuclear, wind, hydropower and solar sector in Africa. OGPE Africa helps you find suppliers, contract tenders, importers, exporters, buyers, sellers, distributers and manufacturers of petroleum and fuel products, connected plant, distributed energy, pipeline and drilling equipment, power plants equipments, oil well equipment, emergency equipment and vehicles, drilling tools & cables, wires, transformers across Africa in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa, Ethiopia, Egypt, Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Angola, Morocco, Senegal, Rwanda, Congo.

Get In Touch